In this episode of Roompact’s ResEdChat, Paul returns to the hosting chair and chats with Delton Gordon and Luke Hams of Arkansas Tech University about changes they made this year to re-imagine their student staff positions. Inspired by an article detailing how The George Washington University completely re-thought their staffing structure, Arkansas Tech changed their student staff roles for the 2022-2023 academic year. This included rethinking RA and student staff roles, how they structured and delineated duties, how they compensated the student employees, and how to make the positions more flexible to meet the needs of a modern student lifestyle.
- Delton Gordon (he/him/his), Associate Dean for Residence Life, Arkansas Tech University
- Luke Hams (he/him/his), Director of Residence Education
Listen to the Podcast:
Watch the Video:
- Reimagining Residential Professional Staffing by M.L. “Cissy” Petty, Stewart Robinette, and Seth Weinshel in NASPA’s Leadership Exchange (access requires membership)
- GW to Transform Service and Care for Residential Students in GW Today (2/24/21)
- Too Much for Students to Handle? Why One University Decided to Do Away With RAs by Katherine Mangan in The Chronicle of Higher Education (2/25/21)
- Reimagined Residential Professional Staffing Model Celebrates Early Progress by Nick Erickson in GW Today (3/7/22)
Roompact’s ResEdChat podcast highlights cool people who do cool things and talk about cool stuff in residence life and college student housing. If you have a topic idea for an episode, let us know!