Below we collect and share a number of resources that may help you in your work. Click around and explore!
- Residential Curriculum
- Upcoming Conferences
- Residential Education and Technology Bloggers
- Suggested Books on Student Housing and Learning
- Door Decs, Bulletin Boards, and Other Ideas
- Job Search Resources
Residential Curriculum Content
These resources are a part of our ongoing efforts to share research and insights into developing a residential curriculum. While these materials may help in providing a broad understanding what a curriculum entails, the ACPA Residential Curriculum Institute goes through step-by-step detail into how to enact these principles in your work. Roompact is a proud sponsor of the Residential Curriculum Institute. Our staff member, Paul Gordon Brown, also offers workshops and other consultative services related to a residential curriculum.
Posts About the 10 Essential Elements of a Residential Curriculum:
- What is a Residential Curriculum? Curricular Approach? Residential Learning Model?
- Element #2: Learning Goals and Outcomes Developed and Based in a Defined Educational Priority
- Element #3: Basis in Developmental Theory and Research
- Element #6: Student Staff Are Utilized in Roles Appropriate To Their Skill Development
- Element #7: Learning is Scaffolded and Sequenced To Follow Time-Based Development
- Element #10: Assessment Occurs at All Levels: From Educational Priority to Learning Goals and Outcomes
Further Reading on Developing a Residential Curriculum:
- The Challenge of Designing Apps for Programming Models and Residential Curriculum
- Resource List of Residential Curriculum Presentations from the Web
- The Opportunities and Challenges of a Social Media Residential Curriculum
- Incentivizing the Residential Curriculum by Matt Kwiatkowski
Residential Curriculum Institute:
- Recapping Day 1 of the 2016 Residential Curriculum Institute
- Recapping Day 2 of the 2016 Residential Curriculum Institute
- Recapping Day 3 of the 2016 Residential Curriculum Institute
- #ACPARCI 2014 Day 1 Twitter Recap
- #ACPARCI 2014 Day 2 Twitter Recap
- #ACPARCI 2014 Day 3 Twitter Recap
- Reflections on the 2014 Residential Curriculum Institute by Nicolas Babarskis
- #ACPARCI 2013 Twitter Recap by ebeeler
Schools Implementing A Curriculum:
Although there are many schools implementing curricular approaches to residential and student life, detailed information on these approaches can be difficult to find online. The following is a list of schools who provide their curricular frameworks and/or planning documents (including learning goals and outcomes, strategies, lesson plans, etc.) online. The most useful links are in bold.
- Carleton University
- The College or New Jersey
- College of Saint Benedict
- Clemson University (additional info: link)
- East Stroudsburg University
- East Tennessee State University
- Georgetown College
- Georgia Southern University (additional info: link)
- High Point University
- Indiana State University
- Indiana University Bloomington
- Lehigh University (additional info: link)
- Marshall University
- Miami University
- Milikin University
- North Dakota State University
- San Jose State University
- San Francisco State University
- St. John’s University
- St. Louis University (additional info: link)
- Texas State University
- Tulane University
- University of Alabama
- University of Alabama at Birmingham
- University at Buffalo (additional info: link)
- University of California at Berkeley
- University of Iowa
- University of Kansas
- University of Kentucky
- University of Mary Washington
- University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- University of New Hampshire
- University of North Carolina Charlotte
- University of North Carolina Pembroke
- University of San Francisco
- University of Texas San Antonio
- University of Washington Bothell
Presentations on Residential Curriculum
The following are presentations on residential curriculum that are publicly avaialbe online. The most useful links are in bold.
- Achieving the Immersive Residential Experience – University of Massachusetts at Amherst
- Building a Residential Curriculum – University of California at Berkeley
- Learning Outside the Classroom – University at Buffalo
- Residential Curriculum – Lehigh University
- Residential Curriculum – University of South Florida
- Residential Curriculum for Leadership and Social Change – San Francisco State University
- Residential Curriculum – RA Learning Modules – Texas State University
*Staff from Roompact will be present at the bolded events below.
- March 11-15, 2017 – NASPA Annual Conference (San Antonio, TX)
- March 26-29, 2017 – ACPA Annual Convention (Columbus, OH)
- April 2-5, 2017 – WACUHO Annual Conference and Exhibition (Sacramento, CA)
- July 9-12, 2017 – ACUHO-I Annual Conference and Exhibition (Providence, RI)
- September 17-20, 2017 – Adirondack Solutions Users Group Conference (Philadelphia, PA)
- October 2-4, 2017 – ACUHO-I Business Operations Conference (Atlanta, GA)
- October 4-6, 2017 – NEACHO Annual Conference (Portland, MA)
- October 15-18, 2017 – ACPA Residential Curriculum Institute (Norman, OK)
- October 16-19, 2017 – ACUHO-I/APPA Housing Facilitates Conference (Atlanta, GA)
- October 28-30, 2017 – ACUHO-I Living Learning Programs Conference (Atlanta, GA)
- November 12-14, 2017 – GLACUHO Annual Conference and Exhibition (Indianapolis, IN)
- November 12-14, 2017 – AIMHO Annual Conference and Exhibition (Las Vegas, NV)
- March 3-7, 2018 – NASPA Annual Conference (Philadelphia, PA)
- March 11-14, 2018 – ACPA Annual Convention (Houston, TX)
- March 3-6, 2019 – ACPA Annual Convention (Boston, MA)
- March 9-13, 2019 – NASPA Annual Conference (Los Angeles, CA)
- March 2-5, 2020 – ACPA Annual Convention (Nashville, TN)
- March 28-April 1, 2020 – NASPA Annual Conference (Austin, TX)
- March 20-24, 2021 – NASPA Annual Conference (Kansas City, MO)
- October 10-12, 2016 – North Carolina Housing Officers Conference (Winston-Salem, MC)
- November 7-9, 2016 – MACUHO Annual Conference and Exhibition (Hershey, PA)
- November 9-11, 2016 – UMR-ACUHO Annual Conference and Exhibition (Madison, WI)
- February 6-8, 2017 – NWACUHO Annual Conference (Spokane, WA)
- February 28-March 3 – SEAHO Annual Conference and Exhibition (Chattanooga, TN)
- March 3-7, 2017 – SWACUHO Annual Conference (Little Rock, AK)
Housing and Residential Education Bloggers
The following are individual bloggers who focus on issues related to housing and residential education (among other topics).
- ACPA Commission on Housing and Residence Life Blog – Various perspectives on the field.
- The Res Life Wife – Perspectives from Michelle Weaver, about being the wife of residence life professional.
- Valerie Heruska – Perspectives on housing and residence life, student affairs, and life’s journey.
The following are individual bloggers who focus on issues related to technology in student affairs.
- Josie Ahlquist – Research on social media’s influence on college student, student leadership, and student affairs.
- Paul Gordon Brown – Research on social media’s influence on college student learning and development.
- On The Go by Ed Cabellon – Perspectives on technology’s influence on student affairs administrative practice.
- Society and Social Media by Adam Gismondi – Perspectives on the intersection of social media and civic engagement.
- Gross, Point-Blank by Liz Gross – Ideas on using social and digital media for promotion and engagement online.
- Joe Sabado – Perspectives on IT issues in student affairs.
General Residential Life & Education
Living Learning Communities and Programs
Learning and Curriculum
Door Decs, Bulletin Boards, and Other Ideas
Job Search Resources
The 2016 Live-In Report – Includes a break down of salary information and live-in policies self-reported by institution.