When was the last time you bought something before doing some research on that item? I’m talking about buying a shirt at Target without looking at the price tag before going to the check out lane. Another example can be applying to college: Did you research which university you wanted to attend by looking at the price, location, and major offerings? Or did you close your eyes, take out a map, and place your finger on a random college? More likely than not, you took some time to do some behind-the-scenes research to help you make the best decision for yourself.
Applying to be an RA/Student Staff should require the same level of research. Below you will see valuable questions to ask yourself while you consider learning a bit more about the department you work for!
Who Am I Working For?
– What is the mission of my residence life department?
– What are 3-5 values my department cares about?
– What resources and benefits do residence life offer me?
– Who are the supervisors in the department?
– Who is on my immediate staff team? How long have they been an RA/Student staff member?
– What are other questions do I have about my residence life department so I have a great understanding of who I am working for?
Essentially, you are about to embark on a journey that offers you access to leadership experiences and pours into your personal and professional growth. That is some serious business! So, it is necessary to know a little bit about the product that you are buying into so that you can stand behind the role, confidently knowing that it is a great purchase for you.
- What did you learn about your Residence Life Department?
- How does the department align with my values?